Adaptive Sports/Recreation Scholarship
Southeastern Ohio Center for Independent Living (SOCIL) is committed to maximize adaptive sports/recreation opportunities for individuals with disabilities. SOCIL has funds to assist individuals with registration costs to participate in Adaptive Sports/Recreation Opportunities.
- Individuals must be 5 years & up
- Individuals should demonstrate a sincere interest in learning/participating in activity/event
Independent Living Specialist
Southeastern Ohio Center for Independent Living (SOCIL)
Start Date: (flexible)
Employment Term and Type:
Regular, Full-time (30 hours per week)
Salary Range: $25,350- 37,791
Job Description: [Additional Job Description Details]
The Southeastern Ohio Center for Independent Living is a non-profit that works for the rights and concerns of people living with disabilities on local, state, regional, and national levels. The Independent Living Specialist supports other persons of disability and their families toward greater self-determination and self-advocacy. They determine consumer eligibility as well as develop and assist consumers to fulfill the goals identified in the Independent Living plan.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Community and consumer outreach;
- Development and implementation of IL plans;
- Connect consumers with resources to facilitate self-sufficiency;
- Orchestrate the five core services of Independent Living;
- Track and compile data for efficient annual reporting;
- Facilitate workshops to train individuals on life skills;
- Promote peer relationship and peer role models;
- Conduct presentations to raise public awareness to IL needs;
- Provide technical assistance to the community on accessibility;
- Work effectively with minimal supervision;
- Complete tasks delegated by Executive Director to facilitate the CIL success.
Candidate must have a BA or BS in Social Work, Rehabilitation or related field, or equivalent life experience. Experience working with persons with disabilities; ability to be self-directed and self-managed; effective communication skills; prior experience with workshop/training coordination; knowledge of community resources; computer and office equipment knowledge; ability to determine measurable outcomes pertaining to achieving independent living objective and goals; reliable transportation; ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strongly encourages people with disabilities to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to Jordy Stringer at: (email@example.com)
Cover letter must describe your personal experience with disability and understanding of the Independent Living philosophy.
Opportunity to give back by becoming a SOCIL Board Member
Currently SOCIL is accepting applications from individuals with an interest and ability to:
- Advocate for people with disabilities;
- Advance the rights of people with disabilities;
- Provide help with disability issues, public relations, and fundraising;
- Promote the independent living philosophy.
The Board of Directors is comprised of up to ten individuals who are appointed for three- year terms and serve on a voluntary basis. Members are people with disabilities, or parents of people with disabilities, or dedicated community members that are eligible. They meet once per month during the day for about two hours. Funds are available to assist with transportation costs.
If you are interested in applying please complete and email the attached application to me at (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact me at 740-689-1494 ext. 202. The Board will be reviewing applications at an upcoming Board meeting.
Thank you for considering sharing your skills with our agency!
Jordy D. Stringer
Executive Director, Southeastern Ohio Center for Independent Living